After understanding the emotional support message that is so important to her work, I designed for a balance of professional, but still very approachable and eye-catching feeling, to convey her message that “Everything will be OK.”
Beyond The Newsletter Design: Usability
Above all, it had to be a setup she could readily handle. Form without function makes no sense.
Mail programs like MailChimp and ConstantContact make it easy to change things according to need — which also means it’s easy to inadvertently change something integral to the design, like colors and type styles.
So, in addition to the design and tutorials, I supplied a “crib sheet” with items like typefaces and font sizes for different areas of the newsletter, color values for specific features, screenshots, and keyword suggestions to help her find stock photos.
At right, see the newsletter that the client was able to create and send out on her own.
Things to Note
- An engaging feature image connecting to the featured article. In this case, the bright colors convey the “joy of passion,” and the child is looking directly at the viewer. Diversity was also an important element.
- The full-width green “read more” buttons are prominent, and not only link directly to the article on the client’s homepage, but also serve as dividers between articles.
- The turquoise block can be used for an inspirational quote, call to action, or other message unique to the current issue. In her first newsletter, Jeri used it for a personal message introducing her new newsletter.
- Another block holds permanent contact information with an invitational call to action.
- Jeri’s signature “Everything will be OK” sits at the bottom of every email, providing a personal touch in a handwriting typeface (also used in her header, again, to make it more personal, but without losing the professional edge.)
If you would like to find out about Jeri’s services, or sign up to receive her newsletter, you can do so on her website.
If you would like to consult with me about an e-newsletter of your own, [caldera_form_modal id=”CF58964ca34683d” width=”900″]contact me for a free, no obligation consultation. [/caldera_form_modal]